Friday, January 2, 2009

Day 1 in Siem Reap


" Click" Caught you in deep thoughts

I caught a red head

Sunset pic taken in an ancient temple.
Everyone awaits ... for sunset.

This holiday I was fortunate enough to visit Cambodia- the land in which Angkor Wat and thousands more of temples stand still on… and I must say I liked it a lot. In fact, I have recently discovered something about myself – I liked to travel to 3rd world countries despite their poor sanitation and services. I supposed this is because of the feeling of being blessed and very fortunate every time I witness the harshness of life and reality.

We arrived at Siem Reap by AiR ASIA on a peaceful afternoon . Weather was good but the first thing that caught my attention upon my arrival was the architecture of the AIRPORT. STUNNINGLY TRADITIONAL…. Awesome.

We took some photos and checked out the exchange rate at the local airport money changer. For your information, Cambodian currency is Riel but like their neighbouring countries Thailand and Vietnam, USD is widely used. The exchange rate would be 1100 riel = 1 USD. Other than that, the general thing we should know about Cambodia other than it’s famous ANGKOR WAT landmark, there is also the Khmer Rouge which was led by Pot Pot’s regime which resulted in the 1975 (I think ) massive human genocide.

So after collecting our luggage, we headed towards to our hotel. Even I was used to their culture of taking of shoes when you enter the house, the hotel was surprisingly quite cosy… (pic)

Later that, we had lunch. EATING. Food !!! We tried the local food and it was really delicious because the extensive usage of herbs . One thing I noticed about their food is that they don’t like to stir fry their vegetables like we do with Chinese BAK CHOI. They like to eat it raw with sauce made of herbs and spices. The ingredient which is extensively used by them, which I think I see them in every dish, is lemongrass.

We ate for one hour plus. BY the time,we were done, I think I had just swallowed a buffalo. We were so full and because of that we thought a bit of mild exercise will do us some good and that would be SHOPPING. Time to Exercise the mouth and leg. ^_^ =)


Sis mesmerised by the jewellery..
Old Market

We went to the OLD Market and ended the day with a mild hike up the mountain to watch sunset in the ruins of an ancient temple . (PICture time)
To be continued……….
Sunset

No comments: