Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Sustainable Architecture.

My recent assignment was about creating a shelter for a BBQ site and a private area.Though it was only a mini exercise, i was really excited about it as I didn't have to build model for once in this semester. Everything was allowed to be done virtually and to me, i would rather much do that than building models because rendering consume less time.

Anyway, before I continue to digress, my site was CERES community environment centre. A rather village-ish place designed and established by a group of people in the past to promote / encourage sustainable living in our modern society. In order to compliment their theme, everything there is practically eco friendly like organic plantations, solar panels everywhere, composite toilet and etc. Since the site was established with such a purpose , I decided that my design should share the theme to strengthen/ fortify its message.

So, after some referencing here and there, I came up with an organic design to compliment the whole eco environment theme as well as the curvateous contours of the site. Though it was really interesting, creating it on Sketch Up seems to take ages longer than i have initially expected but it was not really an issue for me. Just saying it for the sake of saying it.. Sorry.

Designing the shelter was really an enjoyable process because I had a funny encounter with a book titled DESIGN LIKE YOU GIVE A DAMN. The book mainly talks about using recycled items to create buildings and how by doing so, how many less privileged people across the less developed as well as developing countries have benefited from it. After reading it, I was astonished by the creativity and innovation the designers possessed and certainly, become more inspired to follow their examples. In fact, there was a lady who said that she decided one day that she wanted to help people and just packed everything and rode a motorcycle , closed her architectural practice and just went to help those people with her architectural skills.

I am not sure if I could be as bold as her, to be able to leave everything behind and just do charity work but we never know what will happen in future. But for now, I think I just keep to the conventional idea of getting a job when I graduate and who knows, if I am lucky enough, i will be fortunate enough to work and give charitable services simultaneously.

Speaking of charity, I have recently discovered something about myself - I am getting really fond of charity as I grow older. I think the reason is because I have gradually come a realisation how fortunate I am and how I should not complain so much about the insufficiencies in life. If I want something, it only make more sense now to work for it than to rely entirely on my parents. What I feel is that by doing so, I feel more responsible for myself and not having to depend on other people all the time for something.

After such a long speech about fending for myself, I almost forgot about what I came to write about. SO basically, almost the entire structure is made of recycling items and the shapes not only compliment the contours of the site but also the vegetations.

Recycled materials used

timber poles at site, used bicycle wheels, shipping pallets, surfing boards as roof




No comments: